Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Why Bub Likes Me

so as you've probably gathered, Bub and I go to a lot of sporting events. Bub usually likes to buy tickets at the game and is great at negotiating with scalpers - naming prices that tend to make me go "that's it, we're going to die for that one" and usually getting that price.

We went to the Giants-Patriots game last Saturday night - not too cold, tons of crazy fans, lots of fun - and Bub starts looking to buy tickets. Prices were ridiculous. He finally finds a guy who is willing to sell for a high, but fair amount for good seats.

I usually sit back and watch and this time I saw that the seller was really fidgety - sort of understandable, given what he's engaged in - and then he thrust the tickets at me and ordered me to "put them away, NOW". He took the money from Bub and shoved it in his pocket and Bub jokingly asked "aren't you going to count it?" The guy got annoyed and pulled the money out, rifled through it and then started to walk away.

I looked at the tickets. They looked mostly harmless, but a little dull in color. If you looked closely, though, they seemed fuzzy. I nudged Bub. "I think these are fake."

"No!"

"I'm telling you - and look, the guy is running away!"

So Bub takes off after the guy, who is now changing his jacket mid-stride. Amazingly, he simply asks the guy to walk into the stadium with him to see if the tickets are real, the guy says "sure", they head towards the gates and the guy grabs the tickets, throws the money at Bub, and runs away. So all's well, and pretty soon after that we found great seats about 12 rows back. Awesome game.

No comments: